The course combines theory and practice, and covers the following topics:
- Permaculture design principles and ethics for creating a healthy human presence in ecological systems
- Soil, water and habitat restoration
- Skills of deep nature connection and tools to build ecoliteracy and relationship to place
- Alternative economic structures and legal strategies
- Social permaculture and a decolonization framework for ecological justice
- Rainwater and graywater design, water harvesting earthworks
- Wildlands restoration, fire resilience and prescribed fire
- Annual and perennial organic food production systems
- Soil building, compost, and compost tea
- Livestock systems and aquaculture
- Energy efficiency and renewable energy solutions
- Passive solar design and natural building strategies
- Design strategies for different biospheres: tropics / drylands / temperate climates
Over 80 hours of course time includes lectures, interactive exercises, hands-on projects, personal mentoring and field trips. The PDC culminates in a design project where students create a permaculture design for a real-world site and client, presenting their integrated solutions for sustainable building, energy, food, waste, and water systems.
Weekend Format - once a month for 6 months:
October 26 - 27
November 9 - 10
*Each class starts at 8:30am and ends at 5:30pm. Course fee includes lunches.
The course provides a crucial background in systems thinking that prepares individuals to play an active role in holistically regenerating our landscapes, food systems, and communities, and is appropriate for people from all backgrounds, and particularly community activists, entrepreneurs, farmers, land managers, architects, and educators.
Students will receive reading and group assignments to work on in between sessions.
Participants must commit to approximately 6 hours between sessions, and be available to meet once a month at New Paradigm College outside of class time with fellow students in their design group.
Course Fee: $1,275.00
Lake and Mendocino County Residents take 10% off Use Promo Code LCLOCAL
Monthly Payment Plan Available
Local residents please apply for a partial scholarship if you want to enroll but find the course fee financially out of reach.
Note: Partial scholarships are available for all Native American residents of Lake and Mendocino Counties. Please indicate your tribal affiliation when you apply using the links above.